Channel version rule with multiple steps

Hi,
we’ve reported this issue: Channel version rule with multiple steps in March and it hasn’t been resolved since then. It’s super annoying when dealing with bigger project groups, because each time we add a project, we need to add package step in every channel we have - which means that in some cases we need to add 150 package steps to channel rules.

-Kamil

Hi Kamil,

Thanks for getting in touch! My sincere apologies about not getting back to you on this one earlier.

I didn’t have any luck reproducing the issue you initially reported at the time, and I haven’t had any luck attempting to just now. The project exports you provided haven’t shed any light thus far on narrowing down the cause of this strange behavior. I assume you’re still hitting this issue in your cloud instance with the package steps being removed when expanding this version rules section, and if so would you be willing to give consent to log into your instance to have a look at the projects affected by this behavior? Can you let me know your instance URL as well if so? This should hopefully make it much easier to spot the issue.

In regards to the very tedious process required to add many steps to a version rule, we have an open enhancement issue to allow multi-selection/select-all of package steps. I’ve linked to this thread in that issue to boost its visibility, and I’ve raised this with my team. This would likely take a decent amount of work to implement, but we’re currently discussing it as I think it would be a great enhancement.

If you clone a project, these settings will be cloned along with all of the other project configuration; would that help ease this annoyance when creating a new project? Or does this just take you back to square one where you hit the first issue?

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,
thanks for answer. We have this issue for every “Meta” project in our instance (https://connect.octopus.app/app#/Spaces-1) for example (https://connect.octopus.app/app#/Spaces-1/projects/meta-search-backend/channels/edit/Channels-483).

We’ve tried cloning project and the issue persist, so that’s not a solution for us unfortunately.

-Kamil

Hi Kamil,

Thanks for keeping in touch! That’s certainly incorrect behavior (and looks quite annoying!). I’ll be happy to look at this project specifically to see if I can spot what’s causing this; would you be willing to provide explicit consent for me to access your instance at connect.octopus.app?

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,
go ahead and log into our instance :slight_smile:

-Kamil

Hi Kamil,

Thank you kindly for letting me take a look in your instance. So I’ve been able to narrow this down to Deploy a Release somehow being the culprit to these steps clearing in the version rules. This seems to match up with the projects you mentioned you’re experiencing this in, and in my replication. I’ve raised this bug report at the following link for you to track.

I appreciate your help in this matter, and my sincere apologies about the inconvenience and tediousness this issue has caused you.

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns moving forward!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.