Using Octopus has been a wonderful experience so far.
One of the things I find puzzling is that you can assign multiple roles to
- a machine
- a deployment step
- If a machine has 3 roles, will it be noted a deployment step complying to ANY of the roles or a step that has ALL of the roles?
- If a deployment step has 3 roles, will it deploy to machines which have ANY of the roles or to machines who have ALL those 3 roles?
Thanks in advance!
PS: A tooltip on what roles are for in the “Add/Edit machine” dialog and “Edit/Create step” form would also be greatly appreciated.
When finding machines to include in a step, we perform an ‘OR’, and distinct the results. So for example if you have this step:
- Step 1: Deploy package XYZ to roles: web-server, app-server
And you have these machines:
- Machine 1: web-server
- Machine 2: app-server, db-server
- Machine 3: app-server, web-server
The step will apply to all three machines.
Hope that helps,
Thanks a lot for the details, Paul!
I wasn’t a position to test it out myself so I had to ask.
Will definitely keep it in mind for our Octopus projects.
The tool is an awesome piece of work by the way and we already have 10+ projects on it. Really looking forward to Octopus 2.0!
Thanks for the kind words!