Want to start using spaces

We currently have a few hundred projects all in the default space. We want to split them up into spaces. Can you recommend the current best practice for doing this. We don’t want to have to manually recreate everything. I found a few posts on Octopus.Migrator.exe, but the Octopus doco advises not to use this. We have the following

• Infrastructure
  • Scoping rules
  • Variable sets
  • Projects
  • Step Templates

I wouldn’t minding leaving some of these at the default level if they are still accessible from a space. Can you advise what can be moved, what can be still accessed from a space, and what needs to be manually recreated

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting in touch! Good question, and hopefully we can give you a pretty good answer.

In 2021.1 we added the new export/import projects feature that was designed specifically to ease the process of moving projects between spaces (and between self-hosted and cloud instances). I’m hoping that provides a good solution for you.

This allows you to select a list of projects, which exports to a zip file, which you can then select in your new space for import. It’s important to note that there are a few pieces of data that are not included in this export/import process.

• Packages
  • Deployment targets
  • Audit logs
  • Workers
  • Project logos
  • Triggers

I hope that helps, and please let us know how you go or if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.