Waiting for the script to finish

Getting the following message when deploying to two tenants on the same environment and target:

"Waiting for the script in task ServerTasks-15441 to finish as this script requires that no other Octopus scripts are executing on this target at the same time. "

When I go to 15441, I get the following message:

"Waiting for the script in task ServerTasks-15442 to finish as this script requires that no other Octopus scripts are executing on this target at the same time. "

This deployment was working fine until maybe a week ago. We are on 2019.7.12 at this point.

Hi Mac,
Thank you for reaching out.
Unfortunately, we have a few other reports of this issue and are currently working on a resolution.
What we’ve discovered so far is that many of the operations are placing an exclusive lock on the task so no other Octopus scripts can execute on this target at the same time.

Running with that theory, it would be helpful if we could see the Variable output from one of the Tenants on that system. If possible, can you send us the Raw Task log, exported from the UI, for one of the tenants with “Print Variables” turned on?
Here is a step by step instruction on how to set up the Print Variables. You will need to create a new release and redeploy after setting up Print Variables.

Thank you for the additional information and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Tina

I’m getting similar behavior, but it is stuck behind a Machine Policy that runs our health checks. The most recent incident hung up the Machine Policy for 2 days (it normally checks every hour) and there’s literally no output in the Task Log, and deployments to the server where it was stuck would not proceed.

I can’t find any logs for it whatsoever. It was a blank entry for that deployment target until it logged "The remote script failed with exit code -1 " AFTER I canceled the entire task.

The issue persist with v 2019.8.4 we are currently on.
We used to be able to run 20 simultaneous tasks on the same target before v.2019.7
We reduced to 5 simultaneous tasks for v 2019.8.1 to handle “Waiting for the script in task ServerTasks-xxxxx to finish…”
After upgrading to v 2019.8.4 last Friday we cannot run more than 1 task at the same time.

We started utilizing parent-child process steps if that has something to do with it.

After upgrading to v.2019.8.5 today we no longer see block/hang deployments:

Hi,
Glad to hear that V2019.8.5 resolved the issue of blocking tasks for you. Thank you for the detailed updated.

Happy Deployments!

Tina

Any plan for the LTS version/update to resolve?

Hi,
Thanks for the followup question.
Yes! Issue 5853 will be included in the upcoming LTS Release, mostly likely 2019.10, sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Let me know me if you have any further questions regarding this issue.

Thank you,
Tina