Variables - Substitute in Files step template errors with Offline Package

The Variables - Substitute in Files step template fails on the following line

$CalamariPath = $OctopusParameters[‘env:TentacleHome’] + “\Calamari”

The install fails to find “c:\Calamari”.

I then copied the Calamari to C:\Octopus\Calamari\4.7.6 and it worked.

I’m assuming it should find Calamari in the offline package which is at

C:\Octopus\Offline Package Drop\HCF\Dev Internal\e5Foundation\2018.3.1786\Calamari

Is this a known issue? If so is there a recommended fix?

Hi,

Unfortunately, I’d say that the author of the step template (and code reviewer, aka me) did not take offline drop targets in to account when it was built.

I’m working on a fix to the step template that will look for Calamari in the current working directory if the default path ($OctopusParameters['env:TentacleHome'] + "\Calamari") does not exist.

My apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Thanks very much @henrik.

Just letting you know that the step template has been updated on the community library (should be available in your Octopus instance once the community library sync happens, or you can run it manually to get access to it immediately).

Thanks,
Henrik

Hi @henrik,

I updated to the latest step template.

However, overnight all our releases to machines using Listening tentacles failed with the following error.

Did I need to change anything for this update to work?

PowerShell version... 
August 8th 2018 04:19:08Info
Name                           Value                                                                                    
----                           -----                                                                                    
PSVersion                      5.1.14409.1012                                                                           
PSEdition                      Desktop                                                                                  
PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}                                                                  
BuildVersion                   10.0.14409.1012                                                                          
CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000                                                                          
WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                      
PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3                                                                                      
SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                                  
Path = c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80 
Getting target files... 
	Found 1 file(s) 
Will use Octostache.dll (TentacleVersion 3.21.0) 
\ 
Looking for Octostache.dll... 
Loading from C:\Octopus\Calamari\\Octostache.dll 
August 8th 2018 04:19:08Error
Add-Type : Cannot bind parameter 'Path' to the target. Exception setting "Path": "Cannot find path  
August 8th 2018 04:19:09Error
'C:\Octopus\Calamari\Octostache.dll' because it does not exist." 
At C:\Octopus\Work\20180807181905-21778-5474\Script.ps1:86 char:17 
+ ... dd-Type -Path "$CalamariPath\$LatestInstalledCalamari\Octostache.dll" 
+                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
    + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (:) [Add-Type], ParentContainsErrorRecordException 
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterBindingFailed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddTypeCommand 

August 8th 2018 04:19:09Fatal
The remote script failed with exit code 1

Hey,

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by my update to that step template!

Looks like I didn’t test my change properly :frowning: I will get another fix out for it asap!

Cheers,
Henrik

Me again,

I’ve fixed up the step template and it’s going through the motions of being pushed to the library site, update should be available in the next half an hour.

Again, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this bug.

Cheers,
Henrik

Not a problem @henrik. Greatly appreciated.

Hi @henrik sorry to be a pain but do you think this may be ready today? Is just delaying a prod release :frowning:

Hey @pnolan,

My apologies, I thought I had pushed the last changes, but turns out I hadn’t. I’ve pushed them now and will let you know once they’re up on the library site.

My sincere apologies for the delay in getting this fixed.

Henrik

Hi @pnolan,

I’ve pushed those changes to production now, so if you could update your step template and let me know if everything is working as expected now.

Again, my apologies for all the back and forth with this issue.

Henrik

Thanks @henrik,

I got latest step and unfortunately offline drop is still failing with the following error and I can’t find a work around this time.

Our only option with this deployment target is offline so I’m temp disabling variable replacement step and am on client site today to manually merge config.

If you need any further info just let me know and I’ll get it to you ASAP.

Getting target files...
        Found 1 file(s)
Will use Octostache.dll (TentacleVersion )
Checking for Calamari install in \Calamari
\Calamari does not exist, falling back to working folder
Looking for Calamari install in C:\temp\Offline Package Drop\HCF\Dev Internal\e5Foundation\2018.3.1786\Calamari
Finding latest Calamari install in C:\temp\Offline Package Drop\HCF\Dev Internal\e5Foundation\2018.3.1786\Calamari
% : Cannot convert value "de" to type "System.Version". Error: "Version string portion was too short or too long."
At C:\temp\Offline Package Drop\HCF\Dev Internal\e5Foundation\2018.3.1786\Script.ps1:84 char:86
+ ... Path | ? { $_.PSIsContainer } | % { [System.Version]$_.Name } | Sort  ...
+                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [ForEach-Object], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidCastParseTargetInvocation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ForEachObjectCommand

##octopus[stdout-verbose]
Adding journal entry:
<Deployment Id="4a058e97-91d7-4619-aa29-cc023d7fb150" EnvironmentId="Environments-41" TenantId="Tenants-104" ProjectId="Projects-82" PackageId="" PackageVersion="" InstalledOn="2018-08-09 12:14:32" ExtractedFrom="" ExtractedTo="" RetentionPolicySet="Tenants-104/Environments-41/Projects-82/Step-Sharepoint - Variables Substitute in web.config/Machines-222/&lt;default&gt;" CustomInstallationDirectory="" WasSuccessful="True" />

Hey @pnolan,

I just tested locally with the latest version of the step template from the library and I’m unable to replicate the issue you are seeing.

So could you send through the value of the variable Octopus.Action[StepNameOfTheSubstituteVariablesStepTemplate].Script.ScriptBody from the *.Variables file in the Variables folder in your offline drop package.

Thanks,
Henrik

Hey @henrik,

That variables file seems to be encrypted. I’m assuming that would be a problem for you.

I believe the step is looking for Calamari version folder .e.g. “4.7.6” but this does not exist. The offline package adds the Calamari assemblies directly to the Calamari folder.

My guess is that it may be trying to pass one of the following to a System.Version type which won’t work; “2018.3.1786” or “Calamari”

Cannot convert value "de" to type "System.Version". Error: "Version string portion was too short or too long."

Hey,

That’s the thing, the fix I did for offline drop targets was that it shouldn’t try and go looking for versioned Calamari folders. See code for relevant logic below:

# Default Calamari installs folder when running on a Tentacle
$CalamariPath = $OctopusParameters['env:TentacleHome'] + "\Calamari"
# If we're running as part of an Offline Drop target deployment Calamari isn't in the same spot as when running on a Tentacle.
# Check if the $CalamariPath exists, if it doesn't look for it in the current working directory.
$findLatestCalamariInstall = $True
if(-not (Test-Path $CalamariPath)) {
    Write-Output "$CalamariPath does not exist, falling back to working folder"
    $CalamariPath = "$PWD\Calamari"
    Write-Output "Looking for Calamari install in $CalamariPath"
    $findLatestCalamariInstall = $False
}
# If we're running as part of an Offline Drop target deployment we don't need to check for the latest Calamari version
if ($findLatestCalamariInstall) {
    Write-Output "Finding latest Calamari install in $CalamariPath"
    $LatestInstalledCalamari = (Get-ChildItem $CalamariPath | ? { $_.PSIsContainer } | % { [System.Version]$_.Name } | Sort -Descending)[0].ToString() }
}

So if the default path doesn’t exist, then it shouldn’t get to the line where it’s getting the latest installed Calamari version folder…

I’m assuming you updated the step template under Library -> Step Templates, updated the step template in your project and then created a new release?

Could you add the variable OctopusPrintEvaluatedVariables with a value of True, create a new release and deploy that, and then send through the raw log from that deployment, this should let me view the script for the step that is being used.

Thanks,
Henrik

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.