Variable Templates Default Values

FYI. Just discovered this not so cool logic in the variable templates.

In our library set we make use of variable templates. We had several with default values.

We also use Tenants and most of the time we override the default values supplied by the variable templates.

Today we went in the library set and removed the default values for those variable templates. Doing so ERASED all of the overridden values for all of our tenants. Now every tenant has a yellow triangle saying they are missing values.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting in touch,

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue, I understand this behavior can be frustrating.

Based on the information provided in your query, I’ve tried to replicate this same issue without success, can I please confirm which version of Octopus you are currently utilizing?

We’ve done some work recently regarding cascade deletes, though I had a look through our release notes and couldn’t see anything pertaining to this, your version number would help out greatly to narrow this down.

The expected behavior here would be that removing the default value from the variable would indeed trigger a warning on the Tenants, provided that the value within the Tenants was still set to the default value, if the value has since been overwritten in the Tenant area then this should be retained regardless.

Do you know roughly how many Tenants/Variables have been affected? Is it feasible to enter this data back in manually at this stage?

I look forward to hearing back from you, your patience and understanding in this matter are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Reece

We are on Octopus 2018.5.1. High availability with two nodes running behind a Load balancer in azure.

We have a Variable Set called Standard Tenant details.
Under the Variable Templates I removed the default value for 7 “Sensitive/password box” fields.

All 29 Tenants now have missing values for those 7 fields. All tenants now have the little yellow triangle next to their names indicated vars are missing.

I was not show any type of warning box when I saved the changes I made.

We have all of the original values for those fields so we are able to manually go back and re-add them.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back to me,

I’ve attempted to replicate this issue using the version of Octopus (2018.5.1) you specified, unfortunately, without success.

After editing the predefined default variable template (sensitive/password box) value within the Tenant Common Variables area, the behavior I’m experiencing is that subsequent removal of the default value (from the variable template) does not impact the updated Tenant.

Tenants still using the default value, however, will have the variable value removed and by extension will display the warning to indicate a missing variable value exists, unless instead of altogether removing the default value it is replaced, in which case no warning will appear as the Tenant value will update accordingly.

• I do agree, however, that it would be nice to include a notification/prompt to indicate that removing the default value will also remove this from the Tenants (I’ll have a chat to the Team about this), though the Tenants using this default value would be resolved globally by simply re-entering this default value in the Template.

Based on your earlier response, you mentioned that most of the time you override the default values, is it possible then that all these affected Tenants utilized the default value? The way i’ve interpreted this issue is that the Tenants affected had unique values.

Regarding impacting variables already updated on the Tenant, if possible, once you’ve re-entered this data in, would you able to create a new variable template for testing purposes and attempt to replicate this same behavior? If you could record this also that would be extremely valuable to see if this is something I’m missing from my replication steps.

I look forward to hearing back from you, your patience and understanding in this matter are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Reece

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.