Variable substitution error not reported

execution

(Darryl Baker) #1

Hi guys,

I configured a variable called FlashDALConnection with:
server=#{DatabaseServerName};User ID=#{DbPassword.Local};Password=#{DbLogin.Local};database=#{DatabaseName

I made a mistake where I missed the last closing brace off (I didn’t spot this mistake in the Octopus UI because the end it chopped off long lines to fit the screen - but that’s understandable - I need a larger screen :slight_smile: ).

When deployment runs the verbose log shows this expanded as:
Setting ‘FlashDALConnection’ = ‘server=#{DatabaseServerName};User ID=#{DbPassword.Local};Password=#{DbLogin.Local};database=#{DatabaseName’

The whole variable is left in its raw state but there are no errors or warnings in the deployment log.

In this example I would have preferred the deployment to fail.

Can you please help? I can send the entire deployment log if it helps.


(Henrik Andersson) #2

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Can you tell me what version of Octopus you are currently running, and if you could send through the full deployment log that’d be helpful as well.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik


(Darryl Baker) #3

Hi Henrik,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that when I discovered it yesterday, the first thing I did was upgrade to the latest version before trying it again. We are using 2018.8.4.

I’ll email the deployment log over to your support email.


(Henrik Andersson) #4

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for sending through the extra information.

I’m discussing with the team about what we can do to avoid this situation from occurring.

Thanks,
Henrik


(Darryl Baker) #5

Thanks.