Variable-sets permissions per project issue

Hello Support,

I’m getting the following error

You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your Octopus administrator. Missing permission: VariableView

This action requires permission to view variables belonging to a project or library variable set. At least one of your teams has this permission in a limited scope, but this doesn’t cover the project or environment in question. Teams that have enough permission include: QA’s, Devs, airwolf_dev and Octopus Administrators.

Created a new team called “permissions_test_team”
I’ve added my normal user account to the team
Assigned the role of “Systems Admin”
Assigned the same Environments as the Dev Team

When trying to view the variable-set which is associated with my project
I get the same Error as above!

I then removed all the Environments, so my team “permissions_test_team”, could access all projects and environments

I could get access to the variable-sets

I then re-assigned the environments to the same as the Dev teams, and browsed to the following:
Dashboard | Perfect Exchange – Insight Integration

Selected Variables

I could create variables locally to that project!

What this says to me, is that globally scoped variables can only be administered by accounts, that can administer all projects and environments, which in my personal view is a dangerous permission to have, or at least limited to a selected few users assigned!

Or we just define all variables locally to that project ?

Regards

James

Hi James,

Thanks for reaching out.

You nailed it with this phrase: What this says to me, is that globally scoped variables can only be administered by accounts, that can administer all projects and environments

The purpose of “Library variable sets” is to a place of variables that can be used by any project. It only makes sense that only users with access to all projects can modify them.

If you need something less global, you’re gonna have to go with project variables.

Regards,
Dalmiro