Use Publish Profiles as alternative to web conventions/constraints

Although its a lesser known feature, you can generate the specification for where to deploy code in Visual Studio which will spit out {projectname}.Publish.xml. The data in this file could be a means to getting more complex information on how to deploy a web project. For example, I can specify a full path to publish into, including Virtual Directories. This also frees me from the constraint of naming my web application the same as my NuGet package name. That constraint is a particular annoyance as my package name is not a good web application name when I get an IT Operations group involved (they know what “www.productname” is but “company.productname.www.web” is very redundant and slightly confusing) . The data in these profiles also contains a profileName which could be (I use it this way already) mapped to an environment name.

Hi Adam,

Great suggestion, thanks. I’ll look into this over the weekend and see if I can implement it!

Paul

Hi Adam,

You can monitor the progression of this suggestion, and vote for it, on the Trello board:

https://trello.com/board/octopus/4e907de70880ba000079b75c

Paul