Use MS TFS Build .ZIP packages for Octopus Deploy

Consider MS TFS Build which creates .ZIP packages, manually triggered via MS Visual Studio 2013.
TFS is our source control tool for MS web projects.
We want to use Octopus Deploy to use those packages and to deploy them to target web servers.
I’ve tried to download a .ZIP package produced by MS TFS build and to upload it to Octopus Deploy Library’s repository.
It is rejected, looks like only NuGet format is expected.
How can I configure Octopus Deploy to use packages created by MS TFS Build?
Please note: I’ve successfully configured Octopus Target Tentacles on DEV and QA target servers.
Please note: Both MS TFS Build server and Octopus Deploy reside on the same server; main TFS server for source control is a separate machine.
What is the simplest way to connect package produced by MS TFS Build server to be deployed to target servers by Octopus Deploy?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reaching out. Prior to 3.3, Octopus was only able to work with Nuget Packages, and the most popular way to create Nuget packages and push them to Octopus from TFS was using Octopack (see doc).

In 3.3 we added support for .zip files as well. See announcement blog post and documentation page

Keep in mind that at the time of this message, we have released our second Beta of 3.3 which you can download from the link below. We are planning to RTM sometime this week.

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro, I’ve replied to the email, but I am not sure if posting is added to the forum.
I am attaching my email here, please take a look.

Regards,
Mark Pevsner.

RE__Use_MS_TFS_Build__ZIP_packages_for_Octopus_Deploy__Questions__7326_.msg (275 KB)

Hi Dalmiro,

Thank you for your prompt answer.

There is still no resolution on my side, though.
Perhaps I am missing some important and otherwise obvious point due to the lack of the experience.

I’ve downloaded 3.3 Beta and installed it successfully (installation has also upgraded target Tentacles/Calamari agents).
BTW, is there a way to identify which version is currently installed?

To be precise Visual Studio is producing a Build on the TFS Build Server. Is it not a fully-fledged Package from Octopus Deploy perspective?
Do I need to add any special definitions for the build?

[cid:image005.png@01D16F0A.BEF3A650]

[cid:image004.png@01D16F0A.791DD790]

[cid:image001.png@01D16F07.9A61CD10]

[cid:image002.png@01D16F07.FDCB7A40]

[cid:image003.png@01D16F07.FDCB7A40]

Please kindly advise.

Regards,
Mark Pevsner.

Hi Mark,

is there a way to identify which version is currently installed?

You can check on the (?) icon at the top right of the screen (see attached screenshot)

To be precise Visual Studio is producing a Build on the TFS Build Server. Is it not a fully-fledged Package from Octopus Deploy perspective?
Do I need to add any special definitions for the build?

The zip file’s naming convention doesn’t match the one accepted by Octopus. You’re gonna have to configure your build definition in order for it to produce zip files with the right format. Check the “Package Metadata” section of the doc below to see what Octopus expects for the package name.

Best regards,
Dalmiro