Upgrade to 1.6.0.1712 from 1.5.1.1652 Fails

Following the upgrade instructions to upgrade to 1.6.0.1712 from 1.5.1.1652 results in the windows service and Octopus administration tools unable to start.

When starting octopus administration tools after upgrade (and a server restart) an error is displayed in a popup with the following equivalent error in the event log:

2013-05-07 09:51:01,972 [1] ERROR Octopus [(null)] - Unhandled error on web server: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e, Retargetable=Yes' or one of its dependencies. The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047) System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e, Retargetable=Yes' or one of its dependencies. The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047) File name: 'System.Core, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e, Retargetable=Yes' at Autofac.Builder.RegistrationData..ctor(Service defaultService) at Autofac.Builder.RegistrationBuilder 3..ctor(Service defaultService, TActivatorData activatorData, TRegistrationStyle style) at Autofac.Builder.RegistrationBuilder.ForType[TImplementer]() at Autofac.RegistrationExtensions.RegisterType[TImplementer](ContainerBuilder builder) at Octopus.Portal.MvcApplication.Application_Start()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

When trying to manually start the windows service the previous error and the following are displayed in the event log:

Application: Octopus.Server.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException Stack: at Autofac.Builder.RegistrationData..ctor(Autofac.Core.Service) at Autofac.Builder.RegistrationBuilder 3[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(Autofac.Core.Service, System.__Canon, System.__Canon) at Autofac.Builder.RegistrationBuilder.ForType[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]() at Autofac.RegistrationExtensions.RegisterType[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](Autofac.ContainerBuilder) at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AutofacExtensions.RegisterCommand[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](Autofac.ContainerBuilder, System.String, System.String, System.String[]) at Octopus.Server.Program.BuildContainer() at Octopus.Server.Program.Main(System.String[])

Unfortunately, I do not have a screen shot of the error popup. However, it was similar to the first event log message above. I have rolled back to 1.5.1.1652 for now.

Hi Will,

Thanks for letting me know. You’ll need to install this Microsoft Hotfix
before upgrading to the server:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2468871

Regards,

Paul Stovell
Octopus Deploy
W: octopusdeploy.com | T: @octopusdeploy http://twitter.com/octopusdeploy

Thanks Paul. I’ll give it a go.

Server is all working now. I presume the same patch needs to be applied to the tentacles as well?

Hi Will,

Yes, unfortunately it will

Regards,

Paul Stovell
Octopus Deploy
W: octopusdeploy.com | T: @octopusdeploy http://twitter.com/octopusdeploy

Thanks, all working now.