Upgrade calamari error

Hi,
We are seeing an issue where the upgrade to calamari failed.
We just upgraded to version 2022.4.8505 yesterday.
I was notified of a deployment failing with the error:

Checking for D:\Octopus\EU50APVD350-ITAAG89\Tools\Calamari.win-x64\24.2.3\Success.txt
Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.AssertLoggingConfigurationIsCorrect()
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.InitializeLogging()
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run()
at Octopus.Tentacle.Program.Main(String[] args)

D:\Octopus\EU50APVD350-ITAAG89\Work\20230316083523-3281346-3022\Bootstrap.ps1 : Extraction of
Calamari.win-x64.24.2.3.nupkg failed
At line:1 char:37

• … ‘Stop’; . {. 'D:\Octopus\EU50APVD350-ITAAG89\Work\20230316083523-328 …
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Bootstrap.ps1

I then tried to update calamari on the deployment target that was failing in the deployment, acquire packages step. The upgrade failed. Log attached.
ServerTasks-3281631.log.txt (17.8 KB)

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hey @mikepower79,

Thank you for contacting us today, and sorry to hear you are having issues with one of your tentacle upgrades. I did a quick search on the error you are seeing specifically this bit:

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.AssertLoggingConfigurationIsCorrect()

We did have a ticket in from a user that had upgraded from v2022.3.10594 to v2022.4.8319 and they had an issue starting their tentacle service, in the logs that error and the same stack trace was shown.

We tried various things to get the service to restart but none of them worked, so the end solution was to manually uninstall the tentacle and reinstall it again.

The engineers did do a follow up investigation on this and found:

That particular code has some null checks included so our developers are under the assumption that part of the log configuration is null. This is commonly caused by a missing file in the Tentacle Install folder: Tentacle.exe.nlog and they’re able to reproduce the error as well as fixing the error by re-installing tentacle. They’re not sure why it would go missing after an Octopus update, as this shouldn’t touch the tentacle files, so I believe it’s highly unlikely to repeat again.

Whilst I know its not ideal having to completely remove a tentacle it looks like this is just the one hopefully, are you able to give that a try and see if that fixes the issue.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi @clare.martin,
Thanks for the feedback. We will try what you suggested and let you know the outcome.

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hey @mikepower79,

No problem, I hope it works for you but if not let us know and we can dive into it a bit more!

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi @clare.martin,
Uninstall and reinstall of Tentacle did the trick.
Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
Micheal Power

Hey @mikepower79,

Great news that’s fixed the issue and sorry you had to go through the manual uninstall to fix it, reach out in future if you need anything further as we are always on hand to help!

Kind Regards and Happy Deployments,
Clare

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.