Update all tentacles button gone?

In the latest release I see that the “update all tentacles” button no longer shows on our OD server. Instead, I had to update each tentacle manually.

I have two related questions.

1. Has this button been taken away?
  2. Would the developers consider a scheme whereby all tentacles will automatically update themselves when needed?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting in touch!

I’ve done some investigation with my local test environment and have confirmed that the Upgrade all Tentacles option does indeed still exist in Octopus Server 3.16.7. Are you able to confirm which version you were upgrading from so I can investigate further? I will also take the opportunity to mention that Tentacle versions are both forward and backwards compatible within a major version (so any 3.x Tentacle is compatible with any 3.x Server) so continual upgrades are not required. Also, as of Octopus 3.14.1 the Tentacle and Server versions are no longer in sync and will diverge over time.

Regarding your second question, automatically upgrading Tentacles is already available! It does need to be set per machine, and is done with a toggle on the Environments > Machine Policy > Default Machine Policy [assuming the Default policy applies] page. Once there scroll down to the Machine Updates heading and toggle the “Automatically update Tentacle” switch.

I hope that helps, please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist with,

Regards

Alex

Based on your reply, I’ve tried setting the default machine policy. Let’s see how that goes. Thanks.