Unable to edit a process

We have a project that has been around for over a year. We tried to edit the process today, there is a step in the process that uses Slack and we wanted to delete that. There error message we receive makes no sense.
Steps[3].Actions[1].Octopus.Action.IISWebSite.ApplicationPoolName=Please enter an IIS application pool name
Steps[3].Actions[1].Octopus.Action.IISWebSite.WebSiteName=Please enter an IIS web site name

When we try to edit any step or delete any step or in anyway alter the process for this project we get this error. I am not certain what information would be useful to you in diagnosing this issue.

We are using Octopus 2018.8.8 in an HA configuration with 2 servers

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m very sorry you’re hitting this unexpected issue. We’ve seen this same behavior occur in the past with old projects, and after upgrading there are specific values missing on another step, and it looks like you’re hitting this same issue. When you save any step, Octopus saves the whole deployment process, so these missing values in an IIS step could cause this error.

If this is the case, and you have just this one IIS step causing this, could you try editing and saving the referenced IIS step with these details (ApplicationPoolName and WebSiteName)?

If this doesn’t fix it, we’ll need to get this fixed via the API. In this case, would you be willing to provide an export of this project’s deployment process? (In the web portal under the project’s process page, the option Download as JSON can be found in the overflow menu, like shown below).

You can mark this thread as private, or email us at support at octopus dot com if this data is sensitive.

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Kenneth,

We should probably mark this thread as private, but I am not sure where in the UI to do that. since I don’t know how to do that, I sent you a private email with the JSON file

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.