Unable to Connect to Listening Tentacles after Upgrade to 3.0.1

I used the steps found in the Inplace Upgrade instructions,

Backup your Octopus 2.6 database and master key
Use Hydra to automatically upgrade your Tentacles
Verify the upgrade has worked
Install Octopus 3.0 on your Octopus Server
Migrate your data from 2.6 to 3.0
Verify the connectivity between the 3.0 Octopus Server and the 3.0 Tentacles

After the server upgrade though, I am no longer able to connect to the upgraded Tentacles.
Here is the message I am seeing on the server:

Halibut.Transport.Protocol.ConnectionInitializationFailedException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
   at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartFrameBody(Int32 readBytes, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartFrameHeader(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartReading(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
   at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer()
   at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadLine()
   at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeStream.ReadRemoteIdentity() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeStream.cs:line 124
   at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeStream.ExpectServerIdentity() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeStream.cs:line 187
   at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeProtocol.PrepareExchangeAsClient() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeProtocol.cs:line 41
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeProtocol.PrepareExchangeAsClient() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeProtocol.cs:line 51
   at Halibut.HalibutRuntime.<>c__DisplayClass6.<SendOutgoingHttpsRequest>b__5(MessageExchangeProtocol protocol) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\HalibutRuntime.cs:line 115
   at Halibut.Transport.SecureClient.ExecuteTransaction(Action`1 protocolHandler) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureClient.cs:line 60

Here is what I see from the Tentacle device:

2015-07-20 12:04:52.2324      7 ERROR  Invalid request
System.Net.ProtocolViolationException: Request line should have three parts
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ParseRequest(Stream clientStream, Method& method, Uri& uri, RequestHeaders& headers, String& protocol) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 50
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ApplyProtocol(AuthorizationResult authorizationResult, EndPoint clientEndPoint, String clientThumbprint, Stream clientStream) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 141

I’ve rebooted the server as well as the tentacle device after the upgrade, and I get the same results.

Hi, can you connect to the Tentacle via Remote Desktop, run Tentacle Manager, and click the Reinstall button?

I suspect that your Tentacle service points to an old executable, and it hasn’t been pointed to the new version. The references to “Pipefish” in the error on Tentacle suggest it is still running the 2.6 Tentacle.

The command line version of that command is:

Tentacle.exe service --install --stop --start

Paul

That did the trick! Thanks Paul.

Mario Rodriguez
Technical Systems Engineer