Unable to change project Lifecycle: A channel ID must be provided to enable automatic release creation

I’m using Octopus 3.2.22 and have a project with 5 channels. When trying to change the project lifecycle I get the following error:

There was a problem with your request.
•A channel ID must be provided to enable automatic release creation.

I’m not using the built-in feed or automatic release creation. I’ve tried changing the lifecycles of each channel individually and that works, but still unable to change the project lifecycle

Update:

I switched to the built-in nuget feed and found that the Automatic Release checkbox was ticked.

Unticking this, switching back to the external feed, and then changing the lifecycle worked.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m glad you found a workaround. We did have a related issue that we fixed in Octopus 3.2.2 which proposed a similar workaround before we fixed that particular bug: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2128

I think you have somehow fallen into a similar situation. The core problem seems to be that ARC was enabled for the Project without specifying a Channel, even though you were using an external package feed. This would invisibly cause the Project validation to fail since you need to specify a Channel for ARC, and this would get triggered when trying to change the Project Lifecycle.

I’ve raised a GitHub Issue to investigate whether we could/should auto-heal the project if it becomes misconfigured, but I don’t think this situation will be very common.

Hope that helps!
Mike