Turn off native autocomplete on inputs

Because there is no autocomplete="off" attribute on inputs whenever I step on them I got chrome autocomplete over one provided by octopus ui

Seems like a pretty easy to fix but will be so much easier to use ui then

Hi svc,

The history of the autocomplete feature hasn’t been smooth sailing. For a long time, autocomplete=“off” was ignored by Chrome browsers. A workaround was found where autocomplete=“new-password” would stop autocomplete from appearing.

As far as I’m aware, the latest recommended solution is implemented into all pages of our product. Looking at the latest version of Octopus currently deployed, I can see most fields tagged with "autocomplete=“new-password”.

The good news is, since late last year, Chrome has been honouring the autocomplete tags a little more effectively. I understand that both “new-password” and “off” is honoured in the latest version of Chrome.

Are you running the latest version of Chrome?

The only option (although not a fix unfortunately) is to hit the “Esc” key when you see the Chrome dropdown appearing in front of the required values. This closes Chrome’s autocomplete suggestion but leaves the other list of values open. Alternatively, clicking on the down chevron (to the right of most fields) as opposed to clicking on the field itself, should bypass Chrome’s autocomplete feature kicking in.

If you have found a field that doesn’t have the “autocomplete=“new-password”” tag - please, let us know where you’ve found it and we can have a look.

Thanks for reaching out.

Regards,

Dane.

Hm, something strange, I have latest chrome v83, and still see autocompletes even on fields with “new-password” trick, but if i change it to “off” (via chrome dev tools) autocomplete goes away

There is a chance that time is going and we gonna need to change “new-password” to “off” everywhere (at least when new versions of chrome will be installed on majority of clients)

PS: Yes, ESC is the only workaround at moment

Hi SVC,

Hmmm. I’m running v83 and everything is working well for me. I will pass this feedback onto the Devs and they might start looking into changing everything (back) to autocomplete=off.

Just for full clarity (and it probably shouldn’t make much of a difference) What O/S are you running and is it the x64 or x86 version of Chrome?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Dane

Versions are:

Chrome: Version 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

BTW: if in previous versions “new-password” worked out, then probably it should be kind of dynamic, e.g. depending on client os/browser versions “off” or “new-password” should be used

PS: If I can provide more info to reproduce/test something will be glad to help

Thank you,
I’ll pass this info on to the right parties.

Regards,

Dane

Hi svc,

I thought you might be interested to know that this has been raised as a bug/enhancement.

You can follow it’s progress here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/6464

Thanks for your input!

Regards,

Dane

Hi @svc and @marchenko_alexandr,

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that we have flagged this as an issue with Octopus , but at this point we do not have capacity to assign an engineer to resolve the issue. We’ll keep the issue open, but unfortunately we can not provide any guidance as to when it will be resolved. I’m sorry for the inconvenience, and we do appreciate that you took the time to report the issue.

Regards Matt

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.