Timeout on project with many packages

I’m getting a timeout error when i’m attempting to create a manual release (i.e. thru the web ui not api) where the project has many steps, each step with a different package.

when i try to create the release the UI never updates the version drop down, and just shows the red error message in the botton corner as ‘timeout’.

the packages are stored on a drive, e:\packages.

i’m created a project for each package instead as a work around and it works fine.

i’m using version Octopus 0.9.620.3 (beta)

This is still an issue for me… i cant see anything wrong with the nuget packages etc.
is anyone else experiencing this with the latest release?

ok, its been almost a month now since i reported the initial issue. still havent got any joy properly using nuget packages in a local drive.
are there any logs i can check to atleast get some further info?
otherwise i’m going to have to look at alternative solutions

Hi Michael,

Can you try setting up a NuGet server using NuGet.Server or the NuGet Gallery? I suspect that you may have too many packages and the NuGet file system implementation is taking longer than the HTTP request timeout.

You could check the event log on the Octopus Server or run Fiddler while browsing the Octopus site to see more details about the timeout, but I’d say trying a different NuGet server is the best bet.

Paul

Sent: 08/02/2012 01:45
To: Paul Stovell
Subject: Timeout on project with many packages [Problems]

I’d prefer not to have to run the nuget site if i can. I’m clearing down the packages,
btw…

It seems to detect the packages but then wont create the release.

[Execute deploy:create_release] Getting project steps…
[09:51:54] [Execute deploy:create_release] Found 1 steps
[09:51:54] [Execute deploy:create_release] Getting latest version of package: Elevate.Web.Landing
[09:52:33] [Execute deploy:create_release] Latest available version of package ‘Elevate.Web.Landing’ is ‘0.9.67’
[09:52:33] [Execute deploy:create_release] A --version parameter was not specified, so we will infer the version number from the packages. The highest version number is: 0.9.67
[09:52:33] [Execute deploy:create_release] Creating release: 0.9.67
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request. {
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] “errors”: [
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] “A release should contain at least one package with a valid selected version.”
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] ]
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] }
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] System.Exception: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request. {
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] “errors”: [
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] “A release should contain at least one package with a valid selected version.”
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] ]
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] }
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] at OctopusTools.Client.OctopusClient.ReadResponse(WebRequest request)
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] at OctopusTools.Client.OctopusClient.<>c__DisplayClass51.<Create>b__4() [09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InvokeFuture(Object futureAsObj)
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_release] at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
[09:52:34] [Execute deploy:create_releases] Finished creating releases on octopus

sorry for the formatting, seemed to look fine in the box when i typed it…

Hi Mick,

It looks like the version of OctopusTools that you are using is out of date - the latest version (available here) should work.

Paul

ok,
all working now, i reinstalled and recreated everything, using latest octo tools & also with a nuget.server locally deployed and all seems to be working fine.
cheers