The version number for step XXX cannot be automatically resolved because the feed or package ID is dynamic

I use Octopus v2018.8.0 and TeamCity v2017.1.5 with Octopus Deploy Plugin v4.15.9. Get this well-known issue:

The version number for step ‘XXX’ cannot be automatically resolved because the feed or package ID is dynamic.

Tried to workaround by adding three variables: two scoped, and one unscoped variable with the same name referring to a valid package feed. documentaion

Still no luck. Is it still a right workaround? Maybe I should update Octopus Deply Plugin? Cannot find a changelog for this plugin.

P.S. Upvoted here: UserVoice

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for getting in touch and I’m sorry to hear you are having these issues.

I’m still trying to verify if the workaround you mentioned is still a viable workaround, but in the meantime you could update your TeamCity plugin to see if that resolves the issue. I had a look through the commits that have been made since your version but couldn’t find anything directly related to your issue.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

I dont have admin access TC server, so it takes time… I will let you know if newer plugin version resolved the issue. However, it is weird to see so many engineers complaining about this issues…

Hi Henrik! I’ve updated TC Octopus plugin to the version 4.39.4. Still have the same issue:
Octopus Deploy Command Line Tool, version 4.39.4
Octopus version: 2018.8.0; API version: 3.0.0

The version number for step ‘XXX’ cannot be automatically resolved because the feed or package ID is dynamic.

Any other suggestions?

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for getting back to me, and I’m sorry upgrading didn’t fix your issue.

I will setup a local test environment and see if I can figure out why the workaround from our blog post didn’t work for you.

Henrik

1 Like

Hi Maxim,

I’ve tested this locally and if I have my FeedId specified 3 times (unscoped, dev scoped, test scoped) I am not seeing that error, but if I remove my unscoped variable value I see that error.

Could you send through screenshots of how you’ve configured:

• your feeds,
  • the step that is causing the error and
  • your variables.

Henrik

1 Like

Here are screenshots:

Hi Maxim,

The values for your variables needs to be the feed ID, you can get the feed ID from the feed edit page and should be in the format feeds-<feedname> so in your case the ID’s would be feeds-de-release and feeds-de-staging.

I hope that helps.

Henrik

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.