The remote script failed with exit code 101

Hi,
I’m new to Octopus (not the admin) but when running a deployment I’m getting the following error straight away.

The remote script failed with exit code 101

The deployment is then cancelled and cannot get past this error. It happens straight away.
The release has been deployed to the same tenant on 2 other environments, but this one just errors.

Had the same issue with another server and the only way around it was to remove the project from the tenant and re-add. Only problem is then having to re-add all the variables back in and with no suitable option to export from Octopus itself it’s a big risk.

Is there any other way around fixing this error?

2022-01-18 10_25_46-Octopu

thanks,

Hey @rs23,

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the forums!

Would you be able to send over a raw task log from the deployment and, if possible, a copy of the deployment process of this project?

You can upload the files to this link, in order to keep the contents secure: Support Files - rs23.

The details above should provide us with the information to better troubleshoot the issue you’re encountering.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
The link you provided has expired, could you provide again please?

Also to add, this release worked fine deploying to this specific tenant using a TEST and LIVE production deployment, just not the UAT deployment so the process of the project is ok.

I have the task log ready to upload.

thanks,

Hey @rs23,

Thanks for getting back to me!

No worries, I have renewed the support upload link for you; here’s the new one: Rs23 - Support Files.

Please let me know if you run into any other issues uploading the logs/process.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Thanks, I’ve uploaded the log file.

Hi @rs23,

Thanks for getting that log over to us, I am just stepping in while Adam is offline. If we look at line 70 we can see this:
Verbose | Octostache.Templates.RecursiveDefinitionException: An attempt to parse the variable symbol "RedactedDBName" appears to have resulted in a self referencing loop (RedactedDBName -> *redactedInstance name* -> RedactedDBname). Ensure that recursive loops do not exist in the variable values.

Could you take a look at these variables and see if resolving this recursion helps your deployment progress further?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Regards,
Garrett

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I will give that a go and let you know the outcome.

1 Like

Thanks for the help both of you.
Correcting that has got past the error now. Much appreciated.

Good to know about the raw log data aswell which gave us the more detailed error.

1 Like

Hi @rs23!

Thanks for letting us know, it’s good to hear you managed to get past the error!

If you run into any other issues in future, please don’t hesitate to reach out again.

Kind Regards,

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.