Tentacle stopped, but not?

I’ve got a specific tentacle that appears to stop for no reason, but the service doesn’t actually stop.

Log:
2019-09-23 03:02:34.8368 5052 25 INFO listen://[::]:10933/ 25 Client at [::ffff:10.1.0.158]:53094 authenticated as *****
2019-09-23 03:45:02.5183 5052 26 INFO Stopping the Windows Service
2019-09-23 03:45:02.5494 5052 26 INFO listen://[::]:10933/ 26 Listener stopped
2019-09-23 03:45:02.5494 5052 26 INFO The Windows Service has stopped

Except the windows service is still running. The Tentacle Manager shows the status as Stopped, and if I hit Start Service, it will startup.

Any idea what’s going on here? Tentacle.exe version 4.0.7.0

Hi Sean,
Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear you’re having this issue with one of your Tentacles.
This is, indeed, odd behavior and may take a bit of investigating to figure out what’s going on here.

If possible can you send over the Tentacle logs for the failing Tentacle? If you restart the Windows Service Manually does the Tenancle Manager register that the service is running? Is this consistent behavior on this particular tentacle? If so, and restarting the Tentacle Windows Service manually, doesn’t help, you may want to try upgrading to the Tentacle to v5.0.5.

Another option would be to set up our Service WatchDog which can be used to monitor and ensure services are running.
I’m confirming with the team that watchdog look at both the tentacle log and windows service status. If we’re only checking the windows service status, watchdog may not help you here.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I get feedback on what Watchdog monitors. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns in the meantime.

Thank you,
Tina

Tina, it looks like it’s a problem isolated to this one VM. This environment is automatically rebooted weekly, and the service is failing to start due to a login problem on the Tentacle. I’ve set the service to Automatic (Delayed), and we’ll see what happens this week.

Oddly, the windows service was running, but again the Tentacle UI reported the service was not running. Restarting the windows service was not sufficient, I had to start it in the Tentacle UI.

Were you able to confirm if the Watchdog checked both Windows Service status and the Tentacle status?

Hi Sean,
So sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
That’s good news that the failure is isolated to one VM. Unfortunately, the Watchdog service only checks Service Status.

Did resolving the logon error help prevent the Tentacle manager from falsely reporting that the service was down? If this is still occurring, would it be possible to try reinstalling the Tentacle?

My apologies again for taking so long to get back to you.

Tina

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.