Tentacle service intermittently fails to start on boot (windows client)

hello,

we often see an issue that is identical to the one described here: Tentacle service fails to start on occasion

we see the same error messages:
“A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Octopus Tentacle service to connect.”
…and,
“The Octopus Tentacle service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.”

when this occurs, we don’t also see service startup failures for other windows services, whether they’re first-party microsoft or third-party services. the affected devices are all vm’s running windows server 2016 core, fully patched as of this writing.

it does not occur on every boot, and i have not been able to discern a pattern.

i see the registry modification in the aforementioned topic from 2012, but i would hate to have to push a registry hack to all my vm’s just to fix an issue with one service.

are there any options in octopus/tentacle that i can modify, or has there been any further progress on the tentacle code solution that was mentioned?

thanks.

Hi @ariehm,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting this issue here. We have a watchdog command to create a scheduled task to ensure services are up and running. This is our general recommendation to address this on machine reboot scenarios, but I think this will also be of benefit to you. The following doc page has a step by step guide to setting up watchdog.

I’d be really interested to hear if this helps mitigate this issue in your case. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to let us know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

this seems like it’ll be a perfectly viable solution. i’ve set watchdogs on all the affected deployment targets.

thank you.

Hi @ariehm,

Great to hear, thanks for letting me know. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if we can assist with anything else in the future. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.