Tentacle Disk Full

Hi
We see to have nupkg files scattered in various places on our tentacle server.
We had a 2.x and upgraded to 3.x
I can see nupkg files here: (date range & size)
C:\Octopus\Files (2016, 10GB)
C:\Octopus\Applications.Tentacle\Packages (2014, 300MB)
D:\wwwdeployment.Tentacle\Packages (2014-2015, 10GB)

c:\ is getting full.

Please explain what each of these folders are (were) used for?

TeamCity does not keep much retention, so we rely on retention in octoups. this is because teamcity does not know which builds to retain, but octopus does know what’s in the dashboard, which is why we rely on octopus.

Or intent is C: should be used for programs and not data
D: should be used for data and deployed websites
Production servers have yet another drive for Logs.

Our Tentacle.config is… like this.
?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>

SQ-TEST2-1934A41B
C:\Octopus
…snip…
D:\wwwdeployment

Cheers.
Murray

Hi Murray,

Thanks for getting in touch! We have some fantastic documentation on what you should do in this situation, I will link it below. (See the bottom part of the documentation) http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Retention+policy+Tentacle+cleanup+and+troubleshooting

The Tentacle uses the deployment journal to keep a record of what is on the server and what may need to be cleaned up by the retention policy. If the deployment journal is missing a new one is created with only a single entry so any deployments not in the deployment journal will need to be manually deleted.

So basically if you upgraded from 2.x to 3.0 the deployment journal location moved. Your choices are to clean up any old deployments manually, merge your deployment journals to the new location or run the below PowerShell script on your Tentacles.

Let me know how you go, or if you have any further question about this. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel