Teamcity service messages

I’m having trouble getting service message from ocotpus back to teamcity to work. The service message appears in the build log but teamcity is ignoring it. If I output the exact same service message directly from teamcity, it works perfectly. I don’t get any warnings or errors, it just seems that teamcity ignores the message.

Example messages are:

##teamcity[importData type=‘nunit’ path=’\blah\c$\Octopus\Applications\CI\project\2.0.130-dev19e3b30_1\TestResult_Tests.EndToEnd.xml’]
##teamcity[setParameter name=‘octo.testresultsfile’ value=‘mypath’]

What I’ve tried:

• Checked for odd control characters including line endings
  • Tried setting a parameter ##teamcity[setParameter name=‘octo.testresultsfile’ value=‘mypath’] in one step and referencing in the next
  • Looked at the teamcity plugin code, it looks like the service message are just being written to stdout
  • Tried output the service message from both the octopus step script (deploy) and a checked in deploy.ps1

Versions:

Ocotpus: 2.6.0.778
Teamcity: 8.1 (build 29879)

Hi Sam,

I just tried this myself and got the same result. I think the issue is that TeamCity only reads service messages if they are on a line by themselves. However when Octo.exe outputs text from the build log, it writes:

[Success: Tentacle script execution] ##teamcity[setParameter name='ddd' value='fff']

Which means TeamCity doesn’t read the message.

I don’t think there’s an easy fix for this – perhaps you could output the test results to a more deterministic path, and have a PowerShell script in TeamCity which runs after the deployment and which reads the file from that path and uses the service message to have it imported.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response, I came to the same conclusion as you in the end. The thing that threw me the most though is the option --enableServiceMessages, which would indicate that this should work. What does this option do?

Cheers
Sam

Hi Sam,

Octo.exe raises various service messages to indicate a release number, as well as logs (to get the nice indented output). We do this if we detect we’re running under TeamCity (TC passes an environment variable), or --enableServiceMessages can be used to test it when not running under TeamCity.

Paul