TeamCity custom notifications

Does anyone have any examples of how to report release deployment errors in Octopus to TeamCity using custom notifications?

Thanks.

-Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out. If you create the release using the TC extension with the “show progress” box checked, you should be able to see the deployment errors, and even get a failure exit code that would fail your build.

If you already knew that and you are looking for something else, would you mind letting us know what it is? For example:

• Which errors you’d like to know about?
  • Exactly where you’d like this custom notifications to show up in TC? (This might totally be a TC feature that I’m not aware of, so feel free to point me to their docs if that’s the case :slight_smile: )

Cheers.
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

I’d be interested to see errors pertaining to a failed deployment, such as unsupported .NET version, or insufficient disk space, etc…

I was wondering if they can appear in a separate report tab, or get appended to a build log.

Thanks.

-Tony

Another possibility would be the issue log, e.g. thru JIRA?

Sorry for the delay here. I actually didn’t want to respond before a certain fix was released in 3.3.20.

That fix made the variable $OctopusParameters['Octopus.Deployment.ErrorDetail'] a bit more useful by actually containing the error details. Github issue: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1872

You can use the content of that variable along with JIRA’s or TC’s APIs to send info to those systems

Hi Dalmiro,

Those error details could really come in handy for our support people. I
will try it out that parameter.

Thanks again for your help.

-Tony