TDE Encryption - Azure SQL DB

Running Octopus Server 2022.2.7580 connected to Azure SQL DB.
Our security team has recommended enabling TDE
Can you confirm if this will be ok, without any impact?
Thx

Hi @jonathan.totaram,

Thanks for reaching out, and I would be happy to help with your questions on using SQL Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) with Octopus Deploy!

From my understanding, TDE operates outside the application layer, and you should be able to implement this without making any configuration changes to Octopus Deploy itself (but if you do, here is some documentation on updating the connection string for Octopus Deploy).

Also, TDE usually doesn’t come with much of a performance penalty, so you shouldn’t need to increase your server resources as long as things are running smoothly already.

Although things should still work fine with TDE enabled, I recommend setting up a test instance and validating this configuration before implementing the change on your production Octopus Deploy instance.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that Octopus Deploy does encrypt the data in your database by default, and we have some documentation that speaks more to this here (in case this helps with your discussion):

https://octopus.com/docs/security/data-encryption

I hope this initial information helps, but let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Regards,

Britton

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.