Task stuck at cancelling state

Hi,

We have a number of tasks stuck in the Cancelling state.

This appeared to have happened due to a Default Worker Pool worker provisioning error, which a later task set to always run is now waiting for the worker to be ready.

Could we have the tasks cancelled (or if needed our instance restarted)?

Kind regards,
KO

Good afternoon @ko,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support and welcome back to the forums. I am sorry to hear a number of your tasks are stuck in a cancelling state, you are correct in that usually when this happens a restart of the Octopus instance is required.

If it is one task stuck cancelling a reboot of the tentacle or worker that task is running on fixes the issue but since you mentioned there are a number of tasks stuck I think a reboot of your cloud instance would be the best option to get those unstuck.

Can I confirm your cloud instance URL is https://safety.octopus.app/ and also when would you like us to reboot the instance, it would mean a 5 to 10 minute downtime so your other deployments that are currently running (if any) will be cancelled on reboot and you will have to re-run them.

If you are happy with that we can restart your instance now or we can schedule it for a certain time when you are not deploying.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi @clare.martin,

Yep, that’s the correct instance.
Please reboot as soon as you can.

Kind regards,
KO

Hey @ko,

Thanks for getting back to me, I will reboot your instance now and let you know once it is back up.

Kind Regards,
Clare

1 Like

Hey @ko,

Your instance has been restarted and is back up, can you confirm the stuck cancelled tasks are good now or are they still stuck cancelling?

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi @clare.martin,

The tasks are now all cancelled, but when trying to run a new deployment and it doesn’t appear to be progressing past leasing a worker.

So the first step has been running for 14 minutes when it usually takes about 30 seconds.
The log shows:

Leasing Windows2019 dynamic worker... 
Obtained Windows2019 worker lease successfully.

Hey @ko,

Good to note the tasks have been cancelled, for the worker issue are you ok for me to get you a new dynamic worker, hopefully that will help.

I wanted to confirm you are happy with this just in case you did have deployments that are using that worker, if not I will delete that worker and on your next deployment it will lease a new one.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi @clare.martin,

Yep, I’m happy for you to get a new worker.

Kind regards,
KO

Hey @ko,

The worker has now been deleted from your instance, can you try re-deploying again please so you pickup another worker and we will see if that resolves the issue for you.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi @clare.martin,

Everything appears to be working again.

Thanks for all your help,
KO

2 Likes

Hey @ko,

Amazing news thank you for letting us know, if you need any help in the future please do not hesitate to ask!

Kind Regards,
Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.