Structured Configuration Variables on web.config

In the past week Structured Configuration Variables have stopped working on Web.config XML files. I have been unable to find anything in the Octopus Audit trail or my commit log which could have caused this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Here is the relevant section from the deployment log:

The file at C:\Octopus\Applications\FreeOnlineSurveys\Staging\Shout.FreeSurvey.Mvc\414\Web.config does not match any known filename patterns. The file will be tried as multiple formats and will be treated as the first format that can be successfully parsed.
February 15th 2022 10:53:04
Verbose
The registered replacers we will try, in order, are: JsonFormatVariableReplacer,PropertiesFormatVariableReplacer,YamlFormatVariableReplacer,XmlFormatVariableReplacer
Verbose
Attempting structured variable replacement on file C:\Octopus\Applications\FreeOnlineSurveys\Staging\Shout.FreeSurvey.Mvc\414\Web.config with format Json
Verbose
The file at C:\Octopus\Applications\FreeOnlineSurveys\Staging\Shout.FreeSurvey.Mvc\414\Web.config couldn’t be parsed as Json: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path ‘’, line 0, position 0.
Verbose
Attempting structured variable replacement on file C:\Octopus\Applications\FreeOnlineSurveys\Staging\Shout.FreeSurvey.Mvc\414\Web.config with format Properties
Info
No structures have been found that match variable names, so no structured variable replacements have been applied.
Info
Structured variable replacement succeeded on file C:\Octopus\Applications\FreeOnlineSurveys\Staging\Shout.FreeSurvey.Mvc\414\Web.config with format Properties

Good morning @luke2,

Welcome to the Octopus Forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your Structured Configuration Variables.

I am wondering if you are running into this bug we have logged as a GitHub Issue if so you can subscribe to this issue to get email updates so you know when a fix is applied and in what version.

If this issue does not match what you are seeing we can have another look into this for you, you said you are only just starting to experience this issue, have you recently upgraded your Octopus instance?

What version of Octopus are you currently running?

I look forward to hearing from you but please reach out in the meantime if you need anything else,

Kind Regards,

Clare Martin

Thank you @clare.martin ,

The github issue you’ve posted is exactly the problem. I think our instance is set to autoupdate. We’re currently on v2022.1 (Build 552).

Many thanks

Hey @luke2,

Good to note that is the issue you are experiencing, if you subscribe to the issue you will be able to see when a fix is applied, you could try the workarounds included in there if you are able to try any.

If you are on Octopus Cloud your instance would indeed auto-update according to your release schedule.

Let me know if you need anything else, we love to help here at Octopus!

Kind Regards,

Clare Martin

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.