Stop-process

usability
external
(Cto) #1

Hi,

I’m trying to kill a process during a deployment, but the code below doesn’t work. I thiunk it may be permission-related. Any ideas?

$TitleToKill = “Services”

get-process | where-object {$_.MainWindowTitle -eq $TitleToKill} | stop-process -force

Regards,
Paul

(Justin Walsh) #3

Hi @CTO!

Thanks for reaching out, and sorry to hear that you’re having issues.

I just had a couple of questions to help you get this resolved:

• Does this work outside of Octopus, when being run as the user that your tentacle service is configured to run as?
  • Are you receiving any errors when you attempt to run this through Octopus?

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

(Cto) #4

Hi,

Octopus is running on the remote machine under the Local System account.

If I use the Sysinternals tool PSExec to run Powershell as NT Authority\System on the remote machine the script works correctly.

Regards,
Paul

(Justin Walsh) #5

Thanks for getting back to me @CTO - I can confirm that this doesn’t work as reported, but this looks like it’s a limitation of powershell in non-interactive sessions, than any bug with Octopus. I was able to get to this conclusion by the following tests:

Regular output in an interactive/active PowerShell session:

PS C:\Users\jwalsh> Get-Process | where-Object {$_.mainWindowTitle} | Measure-Object

Count    : 4
Average  :
Sum      :
Maximum  :
Minimum  :
Property : 

When calling powershell to run this command directly, it doesn’t allow access to the mainWindowTitle object element:

PS C:\Users\jwalsh> powershell.exe -Command Get-Process | where-Object {$_.mainWindowTitle} | Measure-Object

Count    : 0
Average  :
Sum      :
Maximum  :
Minimum  :
Property : 

So sadly, I’m afraid that you may need to investigate alternative means of finding your running process.

Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions!

(Jose Gonzalez07) #6

This is what i’m using to stop a process:

Write-Host "Searching for processes with name like [$ProcessName]"
$processes = Get-Process | Where ProcessName -like $ProcessName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Write-Host "Found $($processes.Length) processes"

$processes | ForEach-Object {
    Write-Host "Stopping [$($_.Name)] @ [$($_.Path)]"

Stop-Process $_ -Force
}
1 Like