Start/Stop App In tomcat template does not see variables

Octopus 2018.6.1 (and tested in 2018.6.14)
When using the “Start/Stop App In Tomcat” step template, it does not show any project variables in the variable bindings pick lists. For example, I have a project variable called “Context”, and another “deployUserName”. In the step template though, when I click bind on the related fields, I do not see them, only the built-in octopus.x.x variables. If I simply type them in #{context} for example, it does not get evaluated during deploy and gets passed as “#{context}”.
Using the “Deploy to tomcat via manager” step template and everything works fine, I am able to define project variables and pick them for the various values in the step template.

thanks!
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m terribly sorry you’re hitting this unexpected behavior we’ve somehow introduced and the inconvenience it has caused. I’ve been able to reproduce the issue of project variables not being included in the variable binding dropdown for this specific step. I’ve logged this as an issue and you can track its progress here.

Why the variable isn’t being evaluated on deployment I’m not sure exaclty why that would be. Would you be willing to provide a copy of your verbose deployment logs with debugging variables enabled to give me a better look at what may be going on? The following doc page outlines how you can produce and export this log.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of it!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,
Good news, although it doesn’t show up in the bind drop down list, it DOES evaluate the variables if you manually type them. I had typed in #{context} for one of the start/stop variables, but it should have been #{appConext} I changed it and it did evaluate it correctly so the issue is just the variables not showing in the drop down. thanks!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for following up and confirming it’s not actually affecting your deployments! That’s great to hear. :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions moving forward!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.