StackOverflowException

Dear,

I ran into a problem deploying to one of our (new) VMs. I ran out of idea’s since I can’t seem to find a lot of documentation about this …
This deployment works on other machines/environments, but I can’t seem to find out why this one is failing (without any details). I have already tried to isolate some deployment steps, but this happens on every step.

Please let me know what details you need …

Thanks in advance!

|   == Failed: Step 6: Setup the databases ==
10:19:36   Fatal    |     The step failed: Activity Setup the SAM Database on SASQL1DEMO.azure.prod failed with error 'The remote script failed with exit code 255'.
10:19:36   Verbose  |     Setup the databases completed
                    |   
                    |     Failed: SASQL1DEMO.azure.prod
10:19:26   Verbose  |       Octopus Server version: 3.3.23+Branch.master.Sha.b40b81a99f1dd143e64ea50818f1c15e419a91bb
10:19:26   Info     |       Executing script on 'SASQL1DEMO.azure.prod'
10:19:28   Verbose  |       Octopus Deploy: Calamari version 3.3.29+Branch.master.Sha.2bd6efcee8e1a354bf6e8c3bb7d727e98957b320
10:19:28   Error    |       Process is terminated due to StackOverflowException.
10:19:36   Fatal    |       Setup the SAM Database on SASQL1DEMO.azure.prod

Nevermind … Because of the nature of the exception (stackoverflow), I checked out the corresponding variable sets and looked for any possible circular references … which I found!

Which makes me wonder … would it be possible to prevent this?
Since a variable’s value can have placeholders to other variables, which may even be defined in other variable sets, you can create very tricky situations, were you can also accidently end up in a loop …

It could have helped me a lot, if I knew what the Octopus Tentacle was doing at the time of this exception, but there is no logging indicating that e.g. variables are being read …

best regards,

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reaching out. We actually filed a bug for this a couple of hours ago: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2760

I’m adding this thread on that github issue to increase its priority.

Thanks,
Dalmiro

thanks!

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.