Square Brackets in Step Name breaking Output variables

Hi,

After updating to 3.0 (still experiencing issue on 3.0.12.2366) some of our deployments stopped working. I had a step that deployed a package to a machine, and a second step that configured IIS for that application. The second step uses the “Octopus.Action[name].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath” variable from the first step to set a path in IIS. The first step is named “[Primary] Deploy Website”, so I was using the variable #{Octopus.Action[[Primary] Deploy Website].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath}. This worked fine before the update, but afterwards the variable seems to not be working- IIS has that path set to the verbatim variable text: #{Octopus.Action[[Primary] Deploy Website].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath}.

If I rename the first step to “Primary Deploy Website” instead of “[Primary] Deploy Website”, and remove the brackets from the variable so that it’s #{Octopus.Action[Primary Deploy Website].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath} instead of #{Octopus.Action[[Primary] Deploy Website].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath}, then everything works like it used to. This leads me to believe that it’s the square brackets causing the problem.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ve created a github issue to get this reviewed by the team. You can follow its progress on this link https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1882

Thanks,

Dalmiro