Setup a Runbook to not ask for an Environment

I am setting up some Runbook operations for my Ops team. Some of these operations are not environment specific. For example, updating an account’s token on an nightly basis.

This operation does not execute against any specific environment and the product is used by all but one of my environments.

I see it confusing my ops team to have to pick an environment in this situation.

Is there a way to setup a runbook so it does not ask for an environment when it is run?

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

At this time, there isn’t currently a way to disable the requirement to set an environment. For visibility, I would recommend placing this request in our UserVoice forum here: https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/

As a potential workaround, perhaps creating a new project with the runbook using a custom lifecycle and a single dummy environment may work in this case? This would, hopefully, simplify things for the Ops team.

If you have any additional questions of if there is anything else I can assist with, please let me know.

Regards,
Donny

I think the custom Lifecycle will do what I need. Thank you!

1 Like

@donny.bell - I setup a custom project to run my admin tasks. I also created a new environment called Ops. I created a custom lifecycle with only that one new environment in it.

Lastly, I made a dummy step in my deployment process of my new project so that I could see the current lifecycle of my new project. I changed the lifecycle to the new one that has only one phase with my Ops environment in it.

But when I go to the Runbooks part and run one of them, the dropdown lists all possible environment (including my new Ops environment).

How can I get the Runbooks environment list to filter to only the environments used by the project lifecycle it is in?

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

Thanks for following up! I just wanted to jump in quickly to let you know we actually fairly recently shipped an enhancement to this area that allows you to specify a subset of environments in which a runbook can be run. In a runbook’s Settings tab, under the Environments section, you can configure it to Run only in specific environments, or Environments from Project Lifecycles. Then clicking the Run button will only display those set options. The setting will look like the below screenshot.

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions going forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.