Server/Cloud Migration Error: "Found unmapped Ids in document"

While importing a project exported from our local Server instance into our Cloud instance, I get the following error:

Found unmapped Ids in document ‘2.4.11’ (Octopus.Core.Model.Projects.Release): “Id”: “DVSM-2829-D4C63A85E7894C5D8C20D9297FEA1A43”,. Reference path: Project ‘SQL - Calendar Request’ => Release ‘2.4.11’

The ID referenced appears to be build information as it references a JIRA ticket. I resolved the error in older releases by deleting the release noted. However, this is the most recent release and we’d like to preserve that information if possible. Full trace can be provided.

Server: v2021.1 build 7622
Cloud: v2021.2 build 7428

Hi @CHager,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

Would it be possible for you to share a copy of the project export and the password? I’d like to try this in a test environment to see if we can figure out a better workaround.

You may upload the project export via this secure upload link.

You may include a text file with the password or you my private message the password to me directly.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,
Donny

Thanks, Donny. Requested files have been uploaded, including password.

Hi @CHager,

Thank you for getting back to me and uploading the requested files.

I’m having a look now to see what we can do.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I know more.

Best Regards,
Donny

Hi @CHager,

Thank you for your patience. I was able to get the import to work by removing the work item information from the release and associated deployments. It does look like this is probably a bug with the Project Import/Export tool.

Unfortunately, this was a bit of a manual process with several steps. Essentially, all of the Work Items associated with the Id DVSM-2829-D4C63A85E7894C5D8C20D9297FEA1A43 need to be removed.

Before:

After:

To do this, I opened all the JSONs in Notepad++, then did a “Find All in All Open Documents” for the Id. I then copied everything between the curly brackets { } then did “Replace All in All Open Documents” and replaced it with an empty curly bracket set {}. Repeat the process until the Id that generated the error cannot be found in any of the documents.

I saved all the documents in the original ZIP file as creating a new ZIP file won’t work.

Once this is done you’ll see a warning message upon import stating that files were modified.

This process should hopefully unblock you from importing releases that have work items that won’t import.

I have reported this internally to confirm whether this is a known issue with the Project Import/Export tool.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Donny

Thanks, Donny. The process you outline did succeed for me. If there are any additional details on the root cause of this let me know. We have about 100 projects to migrate and if we can proactively identify which projects this issue may occur for, it will help us strategize our move. Thanks!

Please provide a link to any bug reports/tickets generated from this.

1 Like

Hi @CHager,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I’m glad to hear that worked for you. I have not yet hear back internally regarding this issue. However, I am working on reproducing this to confirm a bug and log an issue on GitHub.

Once I have completed my testing, I’ll let you know what I find. In the meantime, if you run into any more issues or have any more questions, please feel free to reach out.

Best Regards,
Donny