"Sensitive" variable templates lose default value when new variable template added

I am testing out the usage of Variable Templates vs. straight Variables in a Variable Set. So as part of the testing, I migrated all of the variables of one set to a list of Variable Templates using a script I wrote. However, when I later tried to manually add a new Variable Template to that Variable Set, I noticed all of the sensitive type Variable Templates lost their default values. I have attached a series of screen shots to illustrate what happened. Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new Variable Set
  2. Add and save a “Sensitive” Variable Template to the new Variable Set (observe that it shows that there is a default value, see screenshots 1 and 2)
  3. Add and observe that the default value for the first Variable template added above persists (see screenshot 3)
  4. Save your changes and observe that the default value for the first Variable template added above has been lost (see screen shots 4 and 5)

I am on version 3.13.8.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! And thank you for the detailed information, it was really helpful in a quick replication. I have just created a GitHub issue for the reported problem, you can follow it here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3651

I have passed this onto the team to resolve. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel