Selecting text in Task Log doesn't work correctly

I’m trying to select some lines of text in the Task Log of a deployment, but it works in a weird way - I start the selection at the beginning of the line, try to extend the selection to the right (to include the timestamp), but the log level nor the timestamp are selected. Other weirdness also occurs, e.g. when I start the selection from the beginning of the timestamp and extend it to the left, the whole line gets selected (including the part of timestamp that I didn’t select). This makes working with the Task Log really cumbersome when I need to quickly copy some log lines.

This is probably caused by the log columns being actually in the reverse order in HTML.

Hey @jakub.januszkiewicz,

Thanks for reaching out. I tried to reproduce your issue with Firefox and Chrome, but selecting the log text didn’t have any unintended behavior for me. Can I ask which browser and version of the browser you’re using? Also your version of Octopus Server?

Do you have any issues when you go to a raw log from our samples?
https://samples.octopus.app/app#/Spaces-104/tasks/ServerTasks-73571/raw

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi @jeremy.miller,

There is no problem in raw log, only in the Task Log tab in a deployment. I have a screen recording showing the problem to make it easier to understand, can I upload it somewhere for you securily? It happens in both FF and Chrome.

Hey @jakub.januszkiewicz, please feel free to direct message the video to me. If your company is a paid customer you can also upload the video to support files.

To do that you can do the following:
Click your profile in the upper right
Click your organization
Go to the support tab
Then upload any required files.

Thanks,
Jeremy

My colleague Tomasz Siekierski has uploaded the video - the file is called octopus-tasklog-selection.mp4. Let me know if you can see it.

Hi @jakub.januszkiewicz,

I do see the video in support files, let me take a look at it, attempt to reproduce, and I’ll update you soon.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hey @jakub.januszkiewicz,

I took a look at your video and was able to replicate it. I have passed along the information. Thanks for reporting it but unfortunately due to a lack of engineering resources and them focusing on show-stopping issues, this will likely not be addressed any time soon. I know the behavior is not ideal, but there is a workaround to the issue in that you need to start and end your click and drag in different places than you would normally do it. You start dragging at the beginning of the date, and end dragging at the end of the body of the last log line. You may have already found this by fooling around with it, but I’ve recorded a gif for you below showing this.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Sure, I know there is a workaround. I just wanted to report this, as it is that small annoying thing that you run across when you need to copy some logs quickly.
Even if you’re low on engineering resources now, are you keeping this as a bug report internally, so that you can come back to it in the future?

Hi @jakub.januszkiewicz,

I have logged the issue in our GitHub. You can find the details of the issue here.

Thanks for raising the issue with us and you can track the progress of the issue in the future at that link.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Thanks, I’ve subscribed to the GH issue.

Hi @jakub.januszkiewicz ,

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that we have flagged this as an issue with Octopus , but at this point we do not have capacity to assign an engineer to resolve the issue. We’ll keep the issue open, but unfortunately we can not provide any guidance as to when it will be resolved. I’m sorry for the inconvenience, and we do appreciate that you took the time to report the issue.

Regards Matt

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.