Running certain step from different projects on the same Tentacle in parallel

Hi.

I’m one of happy users of Octopus in my company. We are using Octopus to run some end-to-end tests after a deployment. This is done by same Tantacle for different projects. When we run 2 deployments (different projects) one after another, the second one is blocked for a while mostly because of the tests that are running for the first deployment. The tests could run in parallel for those 2 deployments. Is there way to parallelize this test-run step? Or maybe parallelize all steps that are done on this one specific Tentacle?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. You can run deployments in parallel from a single Tentacle be following the setup shown on the link below. But this will work at “deployment level”, meaning you cant just do this for a particular step, but for the whole deployment.

Hope that helps

Dalmiro

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I was hoping there might be a way of having the parallelism on the step level. Why is blocking the default behavior? I’m afraid if I bypass the mutex on the Project level, that might break something else.

Thanks,
KS

Hi KS,

The default behavior is to block (actually “queue”) parallel deployments as a safety measure.

Why do you think that bypassing the mutex would break something? We have plenty of other happy users using this feature without problems :). Maybe you can give it a try on a test project?

Thanks,

Dalmiro