Runbook Run Task Name

Hello,

We have setup a number of Runbooks, that are reusable on different resources. They take prompted variables, and based on that the powershell script will run against whatever resource was passed in. We also use interruptions, so that there are multiple people in the loop on any changes.

The problem we are facing is that in the task list, the name of task for the RunbookRun is simply the name of the runbook and it is impossible to determine which var/resources were passed in.

For releases, OD creates a clear task name that reflects the tenant, environment, release number, etc. Do you have any guidance on how to set the task name of a runbookrun with one of the variables being passed in? Using the #{} nomenclature in the RunbookName returns an error.

Thanks.

Hey @jturcic,

Thanks for reaching out.

This is actually currently not possible.

Just to be sure I’m understanding, you’d like prompted variables to show up in the title of the task in the Tasks page?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeremy

That is correct. As an example:

TaskID for a Release looks like this:
"Deploy <ProjectName> Release <RelNum> to <Environment> for <Tenant>"

This is super helpful and handy at a glance.

The same for a Runbook is simply:

"Run <RunbookName> on <Environment>"

Not helpful at all when passing a computer name (via prompted variables) to a runbook, and then when there is an interruption there is no way of seeing what variables were submitted to the runbook so it’s impossible to have useful interruptions that require someone else to review it.

Is there anyway at all to see runtime prompted variables?

Hey @jturcic,

I don’t think there’s anything we can do in the interim about changing the title of the task, but this does seem like a good candidate for a future improvement with runbooks. I’m going to pass this along to our feature team.

Thanks so much for bringing it up and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi @jturcic,

Actually, I may have misread your last message, does the prompted variable need to be in the title of the task, or could it be in the manual intervention itself?

If it can be in the manual intervention, you can reference prompted variables in the manual intervention instructions like this:

Then when someone goes to the manual intervention, if they click Show Details, the prompted variables you reference will show up.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I think we would prefer it to be in the title, for consistency, so a feature request would still be great. However, your suggestion will work in the interim. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi,

You’re very welcome! I have gone ahead and submitted it to the feature team as I do think there is some opportunity with our runbook task titles.

Please reach out if you have any other questions or concerns.

I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Best,
Jeremy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.