Rolling release, execute manual step only on the first target

Is there a way to execute the manual step only on the first deployment target, the reason we want to do this is, its because when we deploy to production we want to verify that the new version of our software is working properly before deploying to the rest of the targets.

Thanks,
-Diego

Hi Diego,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is a great question. My initial thought was using run conditions, but unfortunately that’s not possible in a rolling deployment.

We have a great documentation page on canary deployments, which is a deployment pattern where you deploy to a single or subset of targets to ensure it’s production ready and then deploy to the remaining targets.

This page outlines a few approaches, where I think the easiest solution would be to just select a single server to deploy to on first deployment. You can do that in the UI in the deployment page under the Preview and customize section, as shown below.

If you deploy via Octo.exe, you can use the --specificMachines=VALUE flag as well.

You can also accomplish this by creating a dedicated Canary environment which includes one of your prod machines. I think these two options are the best in a rolling scenario.

I hope this helps get you going! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Thanks, it worked as we wanted, thanks

Hi Diego,

That’s great to hear! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns in the future. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.