Reverting to snapshot when deploying to VM's

Hi there,

We are working on our deploy pipeline for one of our products and have decided to go down the Team City + Octopus deploy route.

At the same time in an effort to keep our deploy environments cleaner we are going to start reverting our deployment environment VMs back to a snapshot before each deploy.

We would like to keep TeamCity just doing building and packaging and have octopus setup the environment and deploy to it. (The tentacle would be in the snapshot of course)

We would like to keep manual intervention down to a minimum and so would like the deploy to be a single step.

I am thinking that this is not going to be possible with OD at present but would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

I think that it’s not possible with Octopus 1.0, but for 2.0 I think it might be. We’ve made some changes to the deployment process and I’ll have more of a think about how this would work in the 2.0 release.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how this might work in V2.

Am I right in saying that V2 is scheduled for release the next month or so?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

We’re planing to release a beta in the next month or so. It could be longer before we have a stable release.

Paul

Hey Paul,

Any update on this?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

You can download the 2.0 beta here:

For this scenario, your deployment process would consist of a PowerShell step that restores the snapshots, followed by the package steps. The PowerShell step will run prior to package acquisition, which means the packages will be downloaded to the freshly snapshotted VM’s.

Paul

Thanks Paul, we will be getting a new suite of VM’s online on monday, so ill start rolling out a test setup then :slight_smile: