Remote Release Promotions

Hi Octo Support

I wanted to get your help and guidance on a new feature that is now available with Octopus Deploy: Remote Release Promotions. We are currently in the process of building out a new Dev | Test environment which is to be segregated away from our live production environment.

The idea being what we would have two Octopus instances; one in Live and one in Test. Are are currently investigating ways to ensure both instances remain in sync.

• Wondering if Remote Release Promotions is available for Self-Hosted (on-prem) Octopus?
  • Our current version of Octopus Server 2.5.1

Many thanks
Enda

Hi Enda,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Remote release promotions is currently not yet available, and to be honest we haven’t even started development on this feature yet as other needs have taken priority. At this stage I would expect work to start on RRP sometime next year, it definitely is still on our radar and it will be available for self-hosted Octopus installs however availability may be license dependant.

I would recommend starting the process to migrate your install to the latest version soon than later (provided you have an active maintenance agreement) as it would be quite involved considering the version you are currently on. As a quick overview you will need to upgrade to 2.6.5 first, then migrate to version 3, then to latest. Please have a read of the documentation that we have available for this upgrade process.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Regards,
Alex

Hi Alex

Thanks for your prompt reply on this, I’ll make sure to check in on the general release of RRP next year.

In relation to getting to the latest version, I wanted to ask you about Octopus’s new update cadence which appears to be a lot more frequent in 2018 i.e. 2018.1.1, 2018.1.2 | 2018.2.1, 2018.2.2 etc…

Can you provide any advise on best practise in keeping up with these new releases each week and month i.e. wondering if there is a major release which enterprises should aim towards for installing?
Would you recommend that the last release of each cycle is the most stable?

Looking forward to hearing back from you

Many thanks
Enda

Hi Enda,

No problems!

Funny you should ask about the most stable release for enterprise as this is something that we have been discussing internally. The result of these discussions is that we will be launching long term support releases of Octopus within the next month or two. These releases will be on a 3-monthly schedule, and will be supported for 6 months.

Have a read of the announcement blog post as it goes into much more detail (linked above), and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Alex