Recurring exceptions in Octopus logs

Hi Team,

I am Prabhjot working on Octopus Deploy. I have seen some recurring exceptions in octopus server logs even though the user not trying to access API/telemetry/process. There is no error on the UI. Can you please let us know why is it showing so.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prabhjot

Hey @prabhjotkour.91,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support and sorry to see you are getting some POST errors in your logs.

As part of the Octopus server setup we include an option to send us Telemetry data, you can find more about this here.

That call to /api/telemetry/process is just your Octopus server trying to reach out to us to send us some data of a process or page you click on, that is why you are seeing it even though you are not actually clicking on any page associated with telemetry.

It looks like your network setup is not allowing requests to that endpoint through (this is why you are seeing those 500 errors).

We have a page here which tells you what outbound requests Octopus makes and telemetry data to https://telemetry.octopus.com is included so you would need to allow that through your firewall if you would like to send us that data.

This is nothing to worry about, it just means your Octopus server cannot send us the telemetry data. If you do not want to allow that through your firewall you can turn this feature off by going into Configuration > Telemetry and setting that to disabled, on this page you can also see historical data of what your instance has sent us so I imagine some of yours will be red due to that 500 error:

I hope that helps alleviate any concerns you has regarding this, reach out if you have any follow up questions as I would be happy to answer any of them!

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi Clare,

Thanks for the reply. But the strange thing I feel is that when telemetry is disabled, it still showing error.

I believe it should not show error when telemetry is already disabled.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks,
Prabhjot

Hey @prabhjotkour.91,

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you on this one, I was discussing it with the rest of my team as I did think disabling that in the UI would mean it would not show in the logs (as you are no longer sending our telemetry data).

We do actually have a GitHub issue for this, I missed the bit in your picture where it mentions the given key was not present in the directory and was focusing on the 500 error.

That GitHub issue was generated from this forum post so you can see it is the same (the GitHub issue does not mention the 500 error but as you can see that user who posted up on our forum has the same 500 error you are seeing).

The issue is fixed in 2022.4.1657 so you would need to upgrade to that to stop it completely. For now, all users that are shown in your log will need to logout of Octopus, clear their cookies and cache on their browser and then log back in again. If you can upgrade to 2022.4.1657 or later though they will not need to do that.

The other ticket you posted up about your tasks not cancelling would also benefit from an upgrade to 2022.4 too so it might be worth seeing if you could do that to mitigate some of these issues you have found recently.

Hopefully that helps alleviate any concerns you had surrounding this issue, let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Clare