Projects With Double Spaces In Name

OK, bear with me here…this one is a bit weird.

If you create a project where it has a double space in the name, Octopus will show it with a single space in the name.
However the json payload contains the correct name (with 2 spaces)
If you try and delete the project, it tells you to enter the project name (with 1 space) but if you enter the project with 1 space, it will not allow the deletion, you need to enter with 2 spaces.

Repo Steps:

1. Create project Called “Chris Is Awesome”
  2. Open the project and see the name shown is “Chris Is Awesome”
  3. Open settings and try and delete the project using the name shown in bold (“Chris Is Awesome”) see that the delete button is still disabled
  4. Go to edit name in settings, see name is correct (with 2 spaces)
  5. Try and delete again, this time, ignore the prompted name and enter with 2 spaces i.e. “Chris Is Awesome” the delete button will enable and allow you to delete the project.

I told you it was weird!

Well…this gets even better.

Whatever the UI being used for this site does the same thing with double spaces!!

EDIT: Trying with loads of spaces here between “EDIT:” and the message
EDIT2: Seems that spaces are always ignored :laughing:
EDIT3: This does seem that when rendering, spaces are not being replaced with   and are therefore condencing

Hi @Chris_Blyth,

Rendering multiple spaces like this is a default behavior from browsers. We are not doing anything in particular in our app to enforce this :slight_smile: .

From a usability point of view though, it can be very confusing.

When presented with a message saying Please type in the name of the project (CHRIS IS AWESOME) to confirm.
And when you type the text shown, it doesn’t work because you neet to type CHRIS IS AWESOME (with double spaces)

Could this not be counteracted when displaying the project name to escape the space characters as   so as to show all spaces in the browser and better reflect the actual project name to the user?

Coupled with this, is project CHRIS IS AWESOME (double spaced) & CHRIS IS AWESOME (single spaced) the same project? How could you tell them apart with the current view?

Hi @Chris_Blyth,

It seems my previous reply was sent half-baked, sorry about that! I was saying that we will triage this issue with the team and create a github issue based on our decision.

Coupled with this, is project CHRIS IS AWESOME (double spaced) & CHRIS IS AWESOME (single spaced) the same project? How could you tell them apart with the current view?

They are not the same project as the backend validation will notice the difference between the names. It won’t be possible to tell them apart (easily) because of this html/css behavior that trims double spaces by default.

Thanks for taking the time to test this thoroughly and report the issue :slight_smile:

Best regards,