Preparing Execution Container with Recommended Windows image takes 30-40 minutes

I’m attempting to run a “Run an Azure Script”, and based on my reading, in order for the Azure CLI to be correctly available the recommended approach is to use execution containers and the docker image “octopusdeploy/worker-tools:3.2.0-windows.ltsc2019”.

That sounds reasonable, however, when I do this, the “Aquire Packages” sub step of “Download package octopusdeploy/worker-tools v3.2.0-windows.ltsc2019 directly from Docker…” takes close to 40 minutes.

This is so that I can then perform a 1-2 minute AzCopy deployment…

That kind of delay makes this solution unworkable for me.

Am I missing something?

Hi Sean,

Thanks for getting in touch!

That does seem to be a longer period than I’d expect for the worker to acquire the image, however, once it has acquired the image this will remain cached until the worker lease expires (60 minutes idle or 72 hours total lifetime).

An alternative could be using the Linux worker and worker tools image as this image is significantly smaller.

If this is something that isn’t going to be run often enough for the image caching to be helpful, then the other option would be to create a new worker pool and a static worker within your own infrastructure with the required tools pre-installed.

Regards,
Paul

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.