Powershell not detected 2019.7.0

Good morning,

I’m attempting to upgrade to Octopus 2019.7.0 (from 2019.5.12), and while I can install things correctly, when the server manager starts it states “Windows PowerShell 2.0 or above does not appear to be installed…”.

I found a couple other (much older) posts that ran into the same issue, but none seem to address the issue for me.

Octopus is installed on Windows Server 2012 R2, $PSVersionTable.PSVersion reports the Powershell engine as 5.1.14409.1005, and I’ve verified the path to PowerShell (C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\V1.0) is in the system path. I have tried running the manager as a regular user and as an administrator, but it always reports the same thing. I don’t believe there is anything on the server that might prevent the scan from executing correctly.

In the meantime I’ve rolled back to 2018.5.12, and everything does work correctly.

Hi @jmccollum!

Sorry to hear that you’ve encountered this, I do have another case of this happening after an upgrade to 2019.7 (which includes a large number of behind-the-scenes changes as we migrate to .NET Framework 4.6.2 and .NET Core 2.2).

We are currently investigating this, and which versions of Windows/Powershell seem to be impacted. Your supplied information is very helpful - thank you!

Hopefully we can have this resolved for you ASAP.

Hi,

So after some investigation, we were able to reproduce this issue.
To fix this issue you can either, install NetFramework 4.7.2 or install KB4041085/KB4049017 OS patches.

We are planning to put out another release that will update the minimum requirements to NetFramework 4.7.2, so maybe the preferred option right now is to install NetFramework 4.7.2 and I would also strongly recommend keeping all OS patches up to date.

Once again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Let me know of any other issues.

Regards
John