Polling tentacles, machines disconnected usually from internet

I’m wondering if we’re trying to use Octopus in an environment it doesn’t support. (After attempting, failing, and reading through posts including 9789)

We have customers whose servers are usually disconnected from the internet. Our intention was to ‘simply’ set up polling tentacles on each of them and then, when they WANT the upgrade, they would temporarily connect them to the internet and let Octopus do it’s thing.
Some of these servers are in countries where the internet between North America is VERY slow (long time required to download the upgrade.)
We are set up on the Octopus cloud (aps-app) , so AFAIK we have no way to do something like:

<add key="Halibut.PollingRequestQueueTimeout" value="01:00:00"/>

Is this something that simply cannot be done with Octopus (in other words, does octopus/octopus cloud require that every server communicate within 2 minutes) or are we going about it in completely the wrong way?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m terribly sorry about the delay in getting backing to you. Your question fell through the cracks.

I’ve been in contact via email with your colleague Cam and informed him that you can set the timeout value via your machine policy from 2018.12.1 on, so I’ve scheduled an upgrade of your instance to that version during your next maintenance window.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Thank you. I confirm that we received that email, yesterday and we set the machine policy, and it did indeed solve our customer issue. We now have several tests run successfully, was very quick and easy, and we are moving over the weekend (Monday at the lastest - depending on our customer response time) to setting it live.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for following up and letting me know the outcome! That’s great to hear, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.