Polling Tentacle Health Check failing

Hi,
I have configured a Polling Tentacle but the health check is failing.

Is there a way to extend the time above 2 minutes. How does the communication work, how does it differ from the listening tentacle in the way it communicates?

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hi @mikepower79

Thanks for reaching out!

In Listening mode, Tentacles listen for instructions from the Octopus Server. When the Octopus Server has a task for a Tentacle, it connects to the Tentacle.

In Polling mode, Tentacles periodically poll the Octopus Server to check for any tasks that need to be performed.

If you haven’t read it already, we have some great documentation on troubleshooting tentacles here - https://octopus.com/docs/infrastructure/deployment-targets/windows-targets/troubleshooting-tentacles

Would you be able to run through the troubleshooting guide and let me know how you get on, please?

Regards,
Stuart

Hi @stuart.mcilveen,
I have gone through the troubleshooting guide and I cant see any obvious error.
Connections are good from the Octopus server to the tentacle. Octopus.Server.exe load time is instant too. Polling Tentacle is running on a Local System account.

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hi @mikepower79,

Does the log on the tentacle machine (default location C:\Octopus\Logs) provide any additional information on the connection issue?

Polling tentacles begin the connection on the tentacle machine and reach out to the Octopus server. Would a connection in this direction by passing through any proxy servers or similar?

The browser test in your screenshot, was that done on the tentacle machine?

Regards,
Paul

Hi @paul.calvert,
Yes the browser test was done on the Tentacle server.

I see an issue in the logs about a different thumbprint presented:

An error occurred when sending a request to ‘https://octopus:10943/’, after the request began: The server at https://octopus:10943/ presented an unexpected security certificate. We expected the server to present a certificate with the thumbprint ‘**********************’. Instead, it presented a certificate with a thumbprint of ‘**************’

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

OK, that may help narrow this down.

If you open the tentacle manager and check the Thumbprint section, there should be some text stating what server and thumbprint it polls.
e.g.

Then, in the Octopus UI if you navigate to Configuration > Thumbprint does the thumbprint listed there match what is in the tentacle manager?
e.g.

If these do not match, then the polling tentacle instance will need to be reconfigured. The easiest way would be to use the tentacle manager to delete the tentacle instance and then re-create a new polling instance.

Hi @paul.calvert,
Sorry I meant to state in my last message that the Thumbprints do match.

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Is there any SSL offloading that could be taking place between the two machines? We’ve seen that cause problems with the thumbprint check previously.

Hi @paul.calvert,
No there is no SSL offloading happening between the two machines.

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hi @mikepower79,

Thank you for providing us with all the information so far. We’re going to need to dig a little deeper into this; would you be able to attach the tentacle log here and also confirm your server thumbprint?

I can either mark this conversation as private or you could email them to us, please let me know which works best for you.

Hi @stuart.mcilveen,
We managed to get the healthcheck working for our polling tentacle. We manually updated the config file with all 3 octopus nodes so that worked.

Kind Regards,
Micheal Power

Hi @mikepower79

That’s great to hear. Thank you for letting me know!

Regards,
Stuart

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.