Permissions are not assigned via the Invite User link

Hi

I have had this happen a couple of times now and each time I’ve took the same fix so believe it is a reproducible error. The problem is when inviting a user (under the /app#/configuration/users/invite link), select the team (in this case Octopus Administrators, I haven’t tested with custom roles!) then send the link to a user, when they create an account they see just the Dashboard with no projects at all on there, like they have zero permissions.

To get their user account looking ok, I go into Configuartion - Teams - Octopus Administrators and just click Save (as their user is already on the list), then they refresh their screen and all the Projects/Environments etc. links appear.

I am on version 3.2.24

Regards
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for getting in touch. I was able to reproduce this kind of behaviour, but with a slightly different workaround.

1. Create invitation to Octopus Administrators
  2. Navigate to the invitation link using an InPrivate session
  3. Fill out the invitation details and save
  4. The Octopus UI displays like I’m a guest
  5. I could get the correct UI displayed by:
    a. Refreshing the page (F5 in the browser)
    b. Sign Out/Sign In

I confirmed the correct data is saved to the DB when accepting an invitation, it appears to be more of a UI bug. Does this sound right to you, or have I missed something in my reproduction?

I’ll wait to hear back from you before I create a GitHub Issue to fix this.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Hi Mike

I’ve tested as you said creating myself a new user so I guess the problem was the two users not refreshing as I got how you had, just a guest dashboard until refreshing.

I didn’t use an InPrivate session though, I just logged out my admin session, visited the Invite link and created user and then still only had Dashboard as the links along the top. A refresh (Ctrl + F5 though to force refresh) did bring everything back so it just seems the first logon shows the guest board.

Regards
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve created this Issue in GitHub to fix this problem.

Thanks for the report and don’t hesitate to get back in touch for any reason!
Mike