Performing variable substitution on ApplicationParameters\Cloud.xml'

I’m trying to replace variables in ApplicationParameters\Cloud.xml but it doesn’t seem to be working.

I have a Octopus variable defined as Db2Connection with a value of:
DataSource=dev.lan;UserID=XXXX;Password=XXXX;DataCompression=True;DefaultCollection=XXXX;LibraryList=XXXX;

Cloud.xml has the Parameter:

The logs say the substitution happens but the variable doesn’t change.

Performing variable substitution on ‘E:\Octopus\Work\20180614151109-47658-58\staging\ApplicationParameters\Cloud.xml’

Once deployed to the Fabric, Db2Connection still reads
Db2Connection" Value="DataSource=YYYY.usbc.lan;UserID=YYYY;Password=YYYY;DataCompression=True;DefaultCollection=YYYY;LibraryList=YYYY;

I can’t figure out what’s wrong with this scenario. I have configuration Transforms and Configuration Variables turned on for the deployment step.

Thanks

Hi Scott,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately I’m unable to determine precisely the reason why your variable isn’t substituting, though I currently suspect it may be failing to find the variable in your xml file.

Are you using variable substitution syntax (i.e. #{varName}) in your Cloud.xml file? To substitute the value of an Octopus variable, it would need to look like this in the xml file: Db2Connection" Value=#{Db2Connection} where Octopus will recognize that syntax and match it with the variable of that name that’s applicable to where you’re deploying (i.e. variable scoping).

I’ll be happy to look through your logs as well to see if I can find the issue - would you be willing to provide a copy of your verbose deployment logs with debugging variables enabled? The following doc page outlines how you can produce and export this log.

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

We haven’t used the Octopus variable substitution in the past but it looks like we will need it for the Service Fabric deployments. I tried it this morning and the substitutions are working correctly.

Thank you for your help!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for following up, and you’re very welcome! That’s great to hear your substitutions are working as needed now, and thanks for letting me know the outcome. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns going forward! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.