'packages.config' files are excluded from packages created by Octopack

Hi,

Thanks for a great product. I’ve really been enjoying using it up to now. Unfortunately we’ve been having some problems lately with a few newly added file that are not included in the output from Octopack. I could fix this for some file types by setting the following msbuild option:

/p:OctoPackNuGetArguments=-NoDefaultExcludes

This does not help for including files called packages.config, however. This is a problem for us since the CMS we’re using (EPiServer) uses files with that name under the App_Data\Modules folder to register what plugins are installed. Thus we really want to include it, but when I read the source code for Octopack it seems that all such files are excluded regardless of their location (https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctoPack/blob/master/source/OctoPack.Tasks/CreateOctoPackPackage.cs#L162).

What’s the reason for this behaviour and how can avoid this exclusion for our project?

Thanks in advance,

Emil

Hi Emil,

Thanks for getting in touch. You’re right, we exclude packages.config explicitly - we do this because that file causes all kinds of problems for NuGet. However we may only need to exclude it at the root - I’d have to check.

For now, you can add it to the <files> section of your NuSpec, then use /p:OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles=true to have OctoPack add all the default files it would normally add, plus whatever is in your <files> element.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you, that worked perfectly so I’m happy for now :slight_smile:

Cheers

Emil